Urdang International Terms and Conditions 2019/20
Please read these terms and conditions carefully and make sure that you understand them fully before purchasing entry to UIDC, a masterclass place or a spectator ticket.
The competition Urdang International Dance Competition (“UIDC”) is organised and promoted by Urdang International Limited (the “Company”) trading as Urdang.
We may amend these terms occasionally.. You should check the website (www.urdanginternational/terms-and-conditions) from time to time to review the then-current terms, as they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms: (a) located on particular pages at the website; or (b) notified to you, from time to time.
You must register your details with us on our online registration system in order to enter a competition, to purchase a masterclass or competition spectator ticket. To do so, please complete the purchase online and follow the instructions to add additional registration information.
All personal details and/or information given must be truthful, accurate and in no way misleading. Registered users undertake to inform the Company immediately if any such information becomes inaccurate.
All entry fees and payments for masterclasses and spectator tickets must be paid via our online registration. Places are not secured until we have received payment in full. If you have not paid, Urdang reserves the right to give away your places.
Participation in the competition requires a non-refundable entrance fee this covers administration costs plus participation in my chosen heat. The entrance fee does not cover any contestant expenses such as travel, VISAs or accommodation.
No refunds are given. Under no circumstances are refunds given for competition entry, masterclasses or spectator places.
Under no circumstances may competition entry places, masterclass or spectator tickets be exchanged.
Urdang International Dance Competition
Registrants acknowledge that the purpose of the competition is to celebrate an artist, duo or group (hereafter referred to as ‘entrant’) and the competition will require a dance performance before a panel of Judges.
Entrants under 18 years must obtain the consent of my parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and enter their details in the application form prior to entry into the competition.
Entrants can enter more than one group size i.e: (small group or solo) but can only dance once per group size. Except if you are entering the Dubai heat or the Portugal heat, then these limits are lifted.
For the small groups that move on to the semi-final or final, schools are able to change their dancers and adjust their routine accordingly as long as the participants and work is still from the same school.
Only replacement dancers can be added. i. e. no new additional dancers that raise the number of participants in the team. Choreography and costumes must remain the same.
Entries made on behalf of a group must have the consent of all members of the group before applying.
No scenery or dangerous or large props may be used on stage such as fire, swords, or knives or pyrotechnics. Only hand-held props may be used during a performance.
Solo: 1 performer
Duet: 2 performers
Small Group: 3-5 performers
Team: 6-20 performers
Dancers can enter more than one group size i.e: (small group or large troupe) but can only dance once per group size.
Junior: ages 5 to 8 years
Middle ages 9 to 12 years
Intermediate: ages 13 to 15 years
Senior: ages 16+ years
The Age Group is determined by the age of the oldest entrant on the day of the regional heat. Younger dancers can participate in older sections of the small group or large troupe.
Proof of age may be requested to establish age.
If a participant’s age changes before the semi-final or final, they are able to compete with the group in the existing age group but may be asked to provide proof.
Replacement dancers must be within the relevant age group and should make up the original entry size.
Slow Styles – lyrical/slow jazz, contemporary and ballet.
Upbeat Styles – jazz, commercial, street dance, hip-hop, tap or a fusion of styles.
Reclassification – If an adjudicator observes a routine where it is felt it is not within the genre of the category it has been entered, they are able to reclassify it to a more appropriate category.
Please note: Overtime will result in automatic point deduction of ¼ point for every 5 seconds of overtime.
Solos: 1:30 minutes
Duets: 1:30 minutes
Small Group: 2:30 minutes
Large Group: 3:20 minutes
Contestants are required to email their own music as an mp3 or m4a format at least 10 days before the event. We strongly suggest that you also bring a backup on a USB stick or ipod device in case of a technical issue.
Please label your music and send in the following format:
Song: Dancers name(s)
Artist: The name of your studio/school
If entrants perform to music and/or lyrics entrants take responsibility for ensuring the correct permissions/rights/licenses to use the music/lyrics to take part in UIDC have been secured.
Competition schedules will be emailed to all entrants/studio/school representatives at least 10 days prior to the competition date. We will not be able to provide any information as to when your entries are performing until our schedule has been fully completed.
All entries must compete on the day and time assigned. Timing is subject to change and is at the sole discretion of Urdang. Please alert Urdang staff if there are any scheduling issues.
- The decision of the judges/adjudicators is final. No appeal can be made. Participants are asked to kindly remember that decisions can be made on personal preference, especially where marks are very close.
- If the 1st place winners of a category cannot make/or do not want to proceed with a semi-final or final, then the 2nd place will be offered a place in the semi-final or final, if declined this then goes to the 3rd place winner and stops there. This also applies to semi-finalists not being able to attend or not wanting to proceed to the final.
- No places will be tied as there are restrictions on numbers at the semi-final and final.
- Every effort is made to ensure that the decisions are fair and correct and are representative of an accumulation of the performance quality, technique, accuracy and impact of the routine made on the judges/adjudicators on the day. UIDC pride ourselves on the professionalism, experience and quality of the judges/ adjudicators that will attend each heat.
- Entrants acknowledge that the Company reserves the right to remove or disqualify entrants from the competition at their absolute discretion and that the decision of the Company is final.
- The Company reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant if they supply untruthful, inaccurate or misleading personal details and/or information, have failed to abide by the Rules and/or are in breach of the terms hereof, or are deemed to be acting outside the spirit of the competition. The Company’s decisions shall be final.
- The Company will endeavour to operate the competition and apply the Rules and conditions of the competition as devised by the Company.
Prizes – the following prizes will be awarded in the UIDC.
- There will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner for each section of the regional heats. Entries that are placed will receive a trophy and the 1st place winner will receive a place in the semi-finals in the relevant country or the final.
- The school with the largest amount of participating competition entries in each heat will receive a ‘special prize for their school.
- All dancers will all receive a certificate of participation.
- the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will win a trophy
- 1st place winners will go through to the final in London.
Grand Final prizes
The winners of each section will win a selection of the following prizes:
- Section winner trophy title, and free entry to the final. Section winners will also be congratulated in the press, the Urdang International website and on social media.
- Large troupe prizes also include a workshop with top class professionals such as Claudimar Neto in Commercial dance or Drew McConie in lyrical jazz dance.
- Other individual titles, trophies and prizes will be awarded by Urdang and its sponsors including:-
- Prizes for UK entries
- Junior (5 to 8 years) – winners will be awarded a voucher from dance shops.
- Middle (9 to 12 years) – one week Summer School scholarship at Urdang in London (accommodation and travel not included).
- Intermediate (13 to 15 years) – one Accelerate/Associate level scholarship that could include a Summer School or Pre-Audition course
- Senior (16+ years) – one scholarship for a UK full-time course Foundation or Diploma (subject to singing and acting assessment) – UK or EU student only
- Prizes for International entries
- Junior (5 to 8 years) – will be awarded a voucher from a leading dance brand.
- Middle (9 to 12 years) – one week Summer School scholarship at Urdang in London (accommodation & travel not included).
- Intermediate (13 to 15 years) – one week Summer School course at Urdang in London (accommodation & travel not included)
- Senior (16+ years) – one week Pre-Audition course or one four week full-time training package Summer term only at Urdang in London (accommodation & travel not included)
- The Company (or other such company as chosen by the Company) may film and/or record at the events. Entrants agree to the use of this material by the Company for marketing and promotional purposes, including but not limited to national and international broadcast, including rights to reproduce and edit footage. The Company will own all intellectual property rights in any film and sound recording of the performances.
- No filming, recording or photography will be permitted at any of the UIDC events unless agreed in writing by the Company 7 days prior to an event.
- If any parent, guardian or family members that are present at any masterclass don’t wish their child or themselves to be filmed or photographed, please see a member of the Urdang team when you arrive. If this is not made aware to a member of our team, by you agreeing to these terms and conditions you give us prior consent to filming and photography.
- Photo: Professional photos will be available for purchase during and after UDIC events. Attendees are NOT PERMITTED to take photos of the performances.
- Social Media: We encourage participants and attendees to share their photos on social media, we welcome you to use #! All professional photos shared by UIDC are the sole property of Urdang
- Video: Attendees are NOT PERMITTED to video at any time.
- All contestants grant permission to Urdang to use their photographs and/or videos for promotional purposes.
- A masterclass ticket entitles the purchaser to participate one masterclass.
- Urdang reserves the right to change teachers/choreographers stated on the website and use choreographers of the same ability and professional acumen as replacements. Changes to the headliners are sometimes forced due to operational reasons and are sometimes necessary to stop the event from cancelling. We always strive to maintain the same choreographers as what’s stated on the website when purchasing.
- Tickets to masterclasses are non-refundable, non-exchangeable and are not re-saleable.
- If a dancer aged under 18 arrives on the day of the competition or masterclass without an adult/guardian with a valid spectator ticket then they will not be able to participate in the masterclass. We will not be held liable for any losses incurred due to the dancer not taking place. Except in Dubai where masterclasses will be held on the days leading up to the competition.
- Masterclass tickets are limited to one per entrant.
- A spectator ticket is for a specific round of a competition at a certain time on a given day. Seats must be vacated after the heat to allow for the next heat’s spectators to take their places.
- You must purchase a spectator ticket for each round that you wish to watch.
- A ticket must be purchased by everyone who wishes to spectate the competition.
- Small groups and large groups will be given 2 tickets for their dance school/studio staff to spectate.
- Sportsmanlike behaviour is expected at all times. Failure to do so could result in immediate disqualification.
- Spectators/members of the audience are expected to treat all competitors with respect and refrain from making unnecessary noise or movement during performances.
- Urdang and the hosting facility are NOT responsible for personal injury or property loss/damage.
- ALL competitors are the sole responsibility of their dance school/studio and/or parental guardian. Urdang is NOT responsible for chaperoning any competitor. All entrants under 18 years old must be chaperoned by a nominated adult at any competition run by Urdang International. The studio/school nominated chaperones are accountable for the behaviour and welfare of minors at all of our events.
- NO REFUNDS will be issued in any circumstances
- Urdang rules and regulations will be evaluated and enforced on an individual basis, based on what is best for all parties involved.
- Admission is free for dancers and studio directors/dance teachers. There is a spectator fee for all other audience members. Specific pricing can be found for each individual event via email 1 month prior to each event.
How we use your personal information
While we endeavour to ensure that the Service is available 24 hours a day, we do not guarantee the availability of the Service and shall not be liable if for any reason the Service is unavailable at any time or for any period.
Access to the Service may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond our control.
We do not warrant the accuracy and completeness of the material on the website. We may make changes to the material on the website, or to the functionality of the Service, at any time without notice. The material on the website may be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such material.
The Service (including all hardware and software comprising the Service) and the material on the website are provided “as is”, without any conditions, warranties or other terms of any kind. Accordingly, to the maximum extent permitted by law, we provide you with the website and the Service on the basis that we exclude all representations, warranties, conditions and other terms (including, without limitation, the conditions implied by law of satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and the use of reasonable care and skill) which, but for these Terms, might have effect in relation to the website or the Service.
- Entrants acknowledge and agree to abide fully by the rules, regulations, terms and conditions for this competition. Entrants agree to observe all procedures and obey all reasonable instructions in force or given by a member of the Company and/or any location staff in connection with the competition and the management of the locations and the fire safety and security arrangements in those locations.
- Entrants acknowledge that the Company reserves the right to amend the Rules (including without limitation verbally) or terminate the competition at any time without liability to me. The Company’s decisions shall be final.
- If any provision of this Agreement is adjudged by a court to be void or unenforceable such provision shall in no way affect any other provisions of this agreement, the application of the provision in any other circumstances or the validity or enforceability of this agreement and such provision shall be curtailed and limited only to the extent necessary to bring it within legal requirements.
- The courts of England shall have sole jurisdiction in relation to the terms and conditions of the agreement contained in this release which shall be interpreted according to the laws of England.
We and our employees and agents, exclude all liability and responsibility for any amount or kind of loss or damage that may result to you or a third party (including without limitation, any direct, indirect, punitive or consequential loss or damages, or any loss of business, loss of income, loss of profits, loss of goodwill, loss or corruption of data, or loss or damage arising from or connected in any way to business interruption, and whether in tort (including without limitation negligence), contract or otherwise) in connection with the website or Service in any way or in connection with the use, inability to use or the results of the use of the website or the Service, any website linked to the website or the material on those websites, including but not limited to loss or damage due to viruses that may infect your computer equipment, software, data or other property on account of your use of the website or the Service or mobile apps for event check-in.
Nothing in this legal notice shall exclude or limit our liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by our negligence;
- any damage incurred by you as a result of our fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
- any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
Governing law and jurisdiction
These terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Disputes arising in connection with these Terms shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction or the English courts.