To be able to enter exam candidates teachers will need to apply for a UIS Musical Theatre licence. The initial licence requires an online declaration and upload of relevant qualifications. A teacher must pay for the licence on application, the licence fee is set globally. Licences can be used in any UIS centre in any country or for individual self-employed class work. Teachers can offer recognised prior learning to be considered as an alternative to the UIS teaching qualification. These alternatives could be:
- UK regulated teaching qualification in musical theatre, dance, music, singing or acting
- PGCE with evidence of subject experience/knowledge
- UK further education teaching qualification
- Professional teaching experience in a recognized accredited vocational environment (for example a CDMT/ CDD/ AMTC accredited college/ school) accompanied by references
- UK Level 6 Trinity Diploma/BA Hons with teaching references in Performing Arts
Teachers embarking on the UIS teaching qualification will be issued a Pre-qualified teaching licence that will automatically convert to a teaching licence when the teaching qualification has been passed. This is a benefit
to completing the UIS teaching qualification. Renewal of a licence will require teachers to evidence and declare their continued professional development or show a certificate of attendance from a UIS online course, tech-con or training event.